WHITE, Charles Frederick
Charles Frederick White was the husband of Helena Grace White and father of Blanch Evelyn White. CF White owned Pikedale Station and numerous other properties in the Stanthorpe district. In December 1918 when the newely formed Sub Branch were looking to start up a Soldier’s Club in the township. Wealthy pastoralist, CF White gifted a block of land for this purpose.
The plaque which was unveiled by Sir Matthew NATHAN reads: “MR CF WHITE PRESENTED THE LAND TO THE RSSILA SUB BRANCH OF STANTHORPE TO BUILD A SOLDIERS CLUB, WHICH WAS OFFICIALLY OPENED BY HIS EXCELLENCY THE GOVERNOR Sir NATTHEW NATHAN ON THE 8TH FEBRUARY 1923. IN APPRECIATION, MR CF WHITE WAS MADE THE FIRST HONORARY LIFE MEMBER OF THE SOLDIERS CLUB ON THE 28TH FEBRUARY 1929.”
While little is known of his direct contact with the Sanatorium, his wife Helena was the Red Cross representative there for 20 years. Charles & Helena purchased quite a number of items for the use of sanatorium staff and inmates.
Read about Kyoomba here.